FAQs – CD-ROM
- What are the system requirements for Thomson Reuters CD-ROM products?
- Is there anything Thomson Reuters does not support for our CD-ROM products?
- When I attempt to install my product, the following message is displayed: 'Setup has determined you may not have sufficient access privileges to properly install xxx files. It is recommended you log on as administrator and run the setup. Aborting setup'.
- Why does the error message 'Unable to open the infobase. <Product Name> could not be opened. The system cannot find the file specified' display when I try to open my product?
- I don't want to install the product files onto my C:\ Drive. How can I change the location?
- How do I Network installation for Folio Products?
- How do I Install the product from the network?
- When I install my product on the network I can use it from my PC. Yet when I attempt to access it from another PC why is the error 'Unable to open the infobase (332,5)' displayed
- What should I do if a dll file/s does not register correctly upon installation?
- How do I search for a particular phrase or word within my Folio product?
- When I click Help, why does a new screen open with no information?
- When I open my product, why does the following macro message appear on my screen?
- When I open my product, the main menu page displays, yet I am unable to proceed any further. How do I fix this? Am I able to install my Microsoft Excel-based product to the network?
- When I open my product, I receive the following error message: "Excel.exe has generated errors & will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log has been created". What should I do?
ASIC Forms queries:
- When I open some ASIC forms and guides, a warning message is displayed. What does it mean?
- How do I save the forms that I have filled in?
- I've saved my Lodging Party Details but it doesn't automatically fill them in when I click Insert Agent Details. How can I fix this?
- I'm attempting to login to ASIC Forms Update, service but I have forgotten my username and/or password. What should I do?
- I have updated ASIC Forms on CD-ROM on my computer but when I open the main menu it still shows it is the older version. How do I fix this?
Termination Payout Calculator queries:
- The Australian Tax Office (ATO) will not accept lodgement of some forms generated by Termination Payout Calculator. Which ones and why?
- While trying to edit or add new data to Termination Payout Calculator, an error message saying 'An error occurred in the operation performed' appears. How can I fix this?
- The 'save' and 'update' buttons are missing from the bottom of the screen (). How can I display them?
The recommended system requirements for CD-ROM products are:
- IBM-compatible Pentium 166 PC with 32MB RAM
- Minimum 28MB free hard disk space
- VGA or SVGA monitor
- Microsoft Windows 98 or higher
- Microsoft Office 97 or higher
All Thomson Reuters CD-ROM products are tested for compatibility with Microsoft products.
Click here for System Requirement information
2. Is there anything Thomson Reuters does not support for our CD-ROM products?
The systems we do not currently support are:
- Novell - Netware
- Lotus Notes
- Windows 3.11.
Please note: Thomson Reuters electronic products may operate in the above environments (with the exception of Macintosh), but our Digital Support Help Desk cannot offer you support within those environments.
3. When I attempt to install my product, the following message is displayed: 'Setup has determined you may not have sufficient access privileges to properly install xxx files. It is recommended you log on as administrator and run the setup. Aborting setup'.
Some Thomson Reuters products require you to have administrator access to your hard drive and registry. If you do not have these privileges, please contact your IT department so they can install the product on your PC for you.
4. Why does the error message 'Unable to open the infobase. <Product Name> could not be opened. The system cannot find the file specified' display when I try to open my product?
The most common reason for this is that during the installation routine, Typical was chosen instead of Custom.
Custom mode fully installs the product files (including the infobase) onto your hard drive.
Typical mode installs the Folio Viewer on your hard drive but requires the product's CD-ROM to be in the CD-ROM drive to access the program.
To resolve this issue:
Insert the product's CD-ROM into your CD-ROM drive and reopen the product using Start | Programs | CPD Business Tools | <Product Name> (if you followed the default installation routine). This option minimises disk space taken up on your hard drive.
Reinstall the product. During the installation routine you can use the Setup Type screen to select the type of setup you prefer. Select Custom by clicking in the radio box next to Custom and click Next.
Continue through the installation routine. Then reopen the product using Start | Programs | CPD Business Tools | <Product Name> (if you followed the default installation routine).
The Folio Views program files always install onto the C:\ Drive. You can, however, install the product files to a different location. To install the product files to another location (i.e. D:\ Drive, etc.) you need to select a new location during the installation routine. You can do this at the Select Components screen.
Click Browse. to select the new location where you wish to install the product. Please ensure you make note of this location as most instructions use the default installation routine locations.
The following notes refer to networks that have individual desktops networked to a file server. This Folio installation procedure updates the PC register on each workstation to enable the application to start with the correct viewer settings. A path to the content is created and linked to the Start | Programs | CPD Business Tools option.
- Install the product on your network
- Insert the CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive (usually D).
- Create a folder on your shared drive to install the product into (programfolder)
- Start | Run
- Select the CD-ROM drive and then the setup.exe file
- Then type -netserver
- Your field should now have CD-ROMdrive:/SETUP.EXE -netserver
- This will copy the appropriate files to your shared network drive.
- Click Next until you get to the Select Components window.
Specify your shared drive and programfolder by selecting the Browse button.
Continue clicking Next until the product has installed onto your shared network drive program folder.
For each workstation requiring access, on the local workstation:
- Map the path to the shared folder (i.e. <shared drive>: <shared folder>) via Windows Explorer and check the Reconnect at Logon option
- Go to <shared drive>:programfolder\instal32\SETUP.EXE
This procedure will install all necessary components onto the workstation and users will not be prompted for any input.
Each workstation can now access the content on the shared network drive.
Updating a product that is network installed
When an update to the product is received, you now only need to copy the product xxxx.nfo and any Microsoft Word or Excel files from the 'nfo' folder on the CD-ROM into the corresponding folder on your shared drive, and users will always have access to the latest information.
The shortcut created in Start | Programs | CPD Business Tools on the desktop consists of 3 elements:
1. "<shared path>:\FOLIO432\VIEWS.EXE" path to the Folio Viewer
2. -CSOFTWARE\CPDFOLIO - Registry key for viewer settings
3. -I "<shared path>\NFO\XXXX.NFO" - path to the content files to open
8. When I install my product on the network I can use it from my PC. Yet when I attempt to access it from another PC why is the error 'Unable to open the infobase (332,5)' displayed?
You have reached your concurrent user limit. Clause 4.1 of the CPD Folio Products and Services licence agreement states: 'The total number of personnel having concurrent access to the Licensed Product must not exceed 1'.
How to resolve this issue:
Unless you have a multi-user licence, only 1 person may view the product at a time. When the first user has closed the product on their PC, you will now be able to open it from your PC.
Please contact Thomson Reuters Digital Support on 1800 020 548 or email LTA.Digital.Support@thomsonreuters.com. We will ensure you are appropriately licensed.
This depends on what the message reads, which dll (Dynamic Link Library) file it is and which version Windows operating system you are currently using. Please contact Thomson Reuters Digital Support on 1800 020 548 or email LTA.Digital.Support@thomsonreuters.com with this information and we will advise you on the best course of action to take. It is important that you accurately record the error message before contacting Thomson Reuters.
There are a number of ways to do this, depending upon the required complexity of the search. Phrases or multiple words should be enclosed by double quotes to ensure the phrase is searched for (not all words in the field in any order), e.g. "taxation ruling".
- Enter your word or "phrase" into the search field at the top of your screen and press Enter.
- Click F3 or Search | Query, enter your word or "phrase" into the search field and click OK.
- To use Boolean functions (and, or, not, etc.) click F2 or Search | Advanced Query., enter the word or "phrase" you wish to find.
The first occurrence of your word/phrase within the product will then be displayed. To display the next instance press F4 on your keyboard or click Search | Next Hit or the >> button at the top of the screen.
To view all hits of your search, change your view to the HitList tab and double click on a relevant hit.
To clear your search, click on Search | Clear Query or the X button at the top of the screen.
If you wish to read the Folio Views Help regarding Folio Views options that can be used within your service (e.g. further information on searching, etc.):
- Click File | Open
- Navigate to the Nfo folder of your installation (it should default to your installation files. If not (and you followed the default installation instructions, navigate to C:\Program Files\CPD\<PRODUCT name>\Nfo)) and double click Foliohlp.nfo.
This will open the Folio Views Help information file that will enable you to better use the features offered by your service. Please remember that Thomson Reuters CPD does not support all functionality provided by Folio Views software.
Content-specific help is not provided with our Folio products and services.
If you have a question about the content of your service, please contact Thomson Reuters Digital Support on 1800 020 548 or email LTA.Digital.Support@thomsonreuters.com. We will ensure you receive the appropriate answers you need.
As your product contains macros to enable the functions and calculations to work, it is essential that you click the Enable Macros button for your product to work as expected.
Please note: Thomson Reuters virus checks all electronic services for known viruses before release.
13. When I open my product, the main menu page displays, yet I am unable to proceed any further. How do I fix this? Usually this is related to the macro settings within Microsoft Office 2000 and above (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel) programs. Am I able to install my Microsoft Excel-based product to the network?
- Before installation, please set your Macro Security levels to Medium or Low (Medium is recommended) to allow you to enable the macros that the product requires to work
- Open Microsoft Excel, go to Tools | Macros | Security choose medium and click OK After the settings have been changed to Medium or Low, you should then install your product.
- If you have already installed your product, change your security settings, uninstall and then reinstall your product.
Thomson Reuters' Microsoft Excel-based products are not supported by a network installation routine. However, Thomson Reuters encourages all users to store any data and/or files created with your product to a network location (usually your client subdirectory structure) for the purposes of common access or data backup.
14. When I open my product, I receive the following error message: "Excel.exe has generated errors & will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log has been created". What should I do?
- Close down all programs and restart your PC.
- This information pertains to Thomson Reuters digital services only. If you do not subscribe to a Thomson Reuters service, please contact your program vendor.
If the problem persists, please call Thomson Reuters on 1800 020 548 or email LTA.Digital.Support@thomsonreuters.com
15. When I open some ASIC forms and guides, the following warning message is displayed. What does it mean?
This warning message indicates that the file MAY contain information that this viewer (Adobe Acrobat Approval 5.0) cannot support.
In the case of the ASIC forms and guides provided in ASIC Forms, this does not apply.
Accordingly, there is no need to upgrade to the latest version of Adobe's Acrobat products.
To suppress this message for future documents (recommended), please tick the checkbox next to 'Do not show this message again' and click OK.
If you have any questions regarding this issue or ASIC Forms, please don't hesitate to contact Thomson Reuters CPD on 1300 304 197 or email LTA.Service@thomsonreuters.com.
Please ensure you are using Adobe Acrobat Approval 5.0. If your product is opening with Adobe Reader, then you will be unable to save.
To rectify, please install Adobe Acrobat Approval 5.0. Adobe Acrobat Approval 5.0 was supplied as either:
- your first ASIC Forms CD-ROM (this CD-ROM is usually marked as a NEW subscriber CD-ROM),
- as part of your upgrade to Adobe Acrobat Approval 5.0, or
- (from 2005) on a CD-ROM titled Adobe Acrobat Approval 5.0.
The product will now open with the appropriate software which allows saving.
17. I've saved my Lodging Party Details, but these aren't automatically filled in when I click Insert Agent Details. How can I fix this?
There are a number of options to fix this issue:
If you still have the previous version of ASIC Forms loaded onto your PC:
- Open Windows Explorer and go to C:\Program Files\CPD\ASICx\ASICform\forms (the x in ASICx is the previous update number)
- Locate the files lodging.pdf and lodging.fdf and copy (Ctrl+C).
- Go to your new update installation and paste (Ctrl+V) the files here.
If you don't have the previous version loaded onto your PC:
- Fill in the Lodging Party/Agent Details form as usual and ensure click Save Lodging Party/Agent Details.
- Click Save and Yes (to replace).
If your issue is still not resolved by these methods, please contact Thomson Reuters CPD on 1300 304 197 or email LTA.Service@thomsonreuters.com and we will be happy to assist you.
18. I'm attempting to login to ASIC Forms Update, but I have forgotten my username and/or password. What should I do?
Please call Thomson Reuters CPD on 1300 304 197 or email LTA.Service@thomsonreuters.com with the following details:
- Your company/business's name
- Your name
- Your username or account number (if known)
- The service you are trying to access
- A contact phone number if we need more details
Thomson Reuters CPD will then contact you and supply the required information so you can proceed with ASIC Forms.
19. I have updated ASIC Forms on CD-ROM on my computer but when I open the main menu it still shows it is the older version. How do I fix this?
Click here for trouble shooting ASIC forms.
The Australian Tax Office (ATO) will not accept lodgement of some forms generated by Termination Payout Calculator. Which ones and why?
The Australian Tax Office (ATO) requires that the Reasonable Benefits Limit, ETP Payment and PAYG Payment Summary forms be completed on their original stationery. As a result, you may discard the copies of these forms as completed by Termination Payout Calculator. Click here [Please supply link] for further details.
When Termination Payout Calculator is being updated the install button needs to be selected twice
Selecting Install the first time removes the old version from your system. Selecting Install the second time installs the new version to your system. Your data should remain intact during this process, but make a backup copy of it just in case.
21. While trying to edit or add new data to Termination Payout Calculator, an error message saying 'An error occurred in the operation performed' appears.
If this occurs when clicking Next or moving from the ETP tab to the next (or any other tab where dates are required), this may be connected to your regional settings for Date.
Termination Payout Calculator requires that Australian date settings are used (as opposed to US date settings).
- In many Microsoft operating systems you can find the regional settings in Start | Settings | Control Panel.
- Open the Regional Settings options and click on the Date tab.
- Ensure the short date and long date options begin with DD (rather than MM) and then click OK.
22. The 'save' and 'update' buttons at the bottom of the screen are missing. How can I display them?
Termination Payout Calculator is designed to run on a minimum screen resolution of 800x600.
- To change your screen resolution, in many Microsoft operating systems you can find the regional settings in Start | Settings | Control Panel.
- Open the Display option and click on the Settings tab.
- Change the desktop area to 800x600 or higher and then click OK.
If you have a question about the content of your service, please call Thomson Reuters CPD on 1300 304 197 or email LTA.Service@thomsonreuters.com.